Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sentence analysis from shame. 

1. I never learned hate at home, or shame.”

The sentence pattern being used is sentence pattern number 4 but incorrectly punctuated because SHAME isn't an independent clause. The sentence focuses on hate and shame; The effect is it makes you take a pause in the middle of the sentence the comma plus shame shows more effect on shame. I think he made that decision to make the sentence flow to the follow sentence; it's also a sentence of foreshadowing where the character will live a a hate or shame situation.

 2. “She’d walk down my street, and my brothers and sisters would yell, ‘Here comes Helene,” and I’d rub my tennis sneakers on the back of my pants and wish my hair wasn’t so nappy and the white folks’ shirt fit me better.”

The sentence pattern being used is pattern number 5. The effect it makes is that since it is a run on sentence it makes you take a pause and catch your breathe in between. He made that sentence that way because it was too long so he had to add the extra pauses.

3. “And she had a daddy, and he had a good job.

The sentence patter is pattern number 4. The effect is that he wanted to make his point clear in this sentence. He made this sentence that way because once again he wanted to get his point across and make you make a pause so you could understand what he was trying to communicate with you.


4. “The idiot’s seat, the troublemaker’s seat.”

The sentence pattern being used for this sentence is number 6 because it's a dependent clause and then an independent clause. The effect is he wanted to make a statement about the seat and then he wanted to say why he thought the seat was the "idiot's seat." I think he chose to do this like this because t made it unclear made you think and then it gave you an idea of why he made that first statement.

Five sentence pattern 1 from SHAME...

1. "You can't really make a meal out of paste."
2. "The teacher thought I was a trouble maker."
3. "The eagle always flew on Friday."
4. "The teacher opened her book and started calling out names alphabetically."
5. "I was about seven years old when I got my first big lesson."

No comments:

Post a Comment